Friday, November 23, 2012

Office/Bar/Partial Playroom Project

We have this area in the house where we keep our wine fridge, bar items, books, office supplies, pictures, etc. and it opens up right into the playroom so it also functions as a partial playroom... you know, because filing, drinking, reading, and playing with the kids all go hand in hand, right?? The area needs A LOT of help, but I have a plan to make it functional.  Take a look at what it looks like now and what I'd like to do to change it:

I'm standing in the playroom that opens up into the office area in this picture... you can see how the space also functions as part of the playroom!


Yikes!  The tall bookshelf is not only an eye sore, but slightly dangerous.  The shelves are swaying and the back is falling off and for some reason it is leaning a bit toward the right.


In place of both the small & tall bookshelf, the black filing cabinet, and the unit in the corner that continues to have things piled on top of it, I want to get this unit from Ikea:
Before I start buying boxes and cubbies to go in the shelving unit, I need to think about how to organize the things I have.  If I don't really take some time to think about exactly what I need to organize, I'll go box crazy and buy way too much!  

There are some read for pleasure books, educational textbooks for me, and medical textbooks for my husband that will probably take up one whole row of shelves.  I REALLY need to organize the pictures, computer software odds & ends, and the greeting cards/stationary that are just kind of tossed in random places.  I think I'd like to use these to organize the pictures and computer software:


                                                
And possibly organize my greeting cards in this:

Paper and notebooks are another item that pile up and I never know what we've got.  I'd like to use these to be able to see everything easier:



I'm going to try these out for our files.  I'm thinking I'll start with 2 and go from there.

And finally, I need to have a place to put paperwork that needs to be filed, so I'd like to get this:

So that's my plan for now.  What do you think?  Stay tuned for the final product...

1 comment:

  1. I have one of those card organizers... Super handy! Keeps your cards together, in good shape, and easy to find the right type when you're in a hurry. Good plans!

    ReplyDelete